Monday, May 25, 2009

145: #344 Up on Top


The heron babies up in the treetops have hatched!

The first pic was shot at about 6 pm. The light was coming over my shoulder and showing off the birds beautifully. Unfortunately 300 mm isn't close enough and I'm too shaky for that lens's image stabilization, so I had to crop it and add some unsharp mask.

Family portrait.

This second snap was a day later in
morning light with my Panasonic point and shoot at maximum zoom, and those pics were much clearer! But the only way to make a good comparison is to shoot with both cameras in the same lighting conditions. Maybe I'll try that later today -- and use the XSi with a tripod to minimize the shake.

4 comments:

  1. I have never seen blue heron babies, how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, maybe I should be looking up more often...this is absolutely amazing! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're both great shots! I've never seen baby herons before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both shots too! Lucky you to see and shoot them. I imagine they grow really fast.

    ReplyDelete